Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Golden Globes 2010: Alright! Wait, no. GOD no.

Well, it's over. The globes have been dished, the copious champagne drunk, the fists pumped and the disappointment shrieked. As always, the Golden Globes tricked me into thinking they had some sense only to pull a double whammy of injustice in the final act. I suppose I should know better by now. The Globes really aren't the most important pre-Oscar awards and are notorious for being an informal party where stars get wasted. But they sure are fun to watch.

I'm not going to write a full recap because I'm saving that for the Oscars, but I will take you through a very quick reaction to some of the big moments.

Ricky Gervais gets in a staredown with Steve Carell
Please cast these two men as rivals in a movie. They are gold together. And in need of some legitimately fantastic movie roles.

Mo'Nique wins Best Supporting Actress
Two things: she's going to be an Academy Award winner and she made a really heartfelt speech.

Christoph Waltz wins Best Supporting Actor
Dude's also getting an Oscar. But why was there a huge gap between his award and Mo'Nique's? I have never understood the Golden Globes' baffling organizational scheme. Just another reason I can't take this award show completely seriously.

Martin Scorsese is given the Cecil B. DeMille Award
Lifetime achievement awards tend to go to neglected geniuses, and thus are almost a slap in the face, but oh boy was Marty's montage awesome. Great clips from Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and tons more, as well as some fantastic songs that referenced said movies. Just putting it out there: the death montage in Goodfellas set to the instrumental part of "Layla" is still the most awe-inspiring song-scene pairing I've ever seen. Also, I kinda wish Martin Scorsese was my grandpa.

Up in the Air wins Best Screenplay
Woo, Jason Reitman (and Sheldon)! You go! How on earth this was your movie's only win of the night is beyond me.

Meryl Streep wins Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical
T-Bone Streep? Only Meryl could pull off a speech so loopy and random. But then again, if I had 15 Oscar nominations, I'd probably be doing whatever the hell I wanted, too.

Robert Downey, Jr. wins Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical
*Happy sigh* There is no more praise I can lavish on this wonderful man, but his speech was perfect as per usual. Can we just give him an award for Best Person in any Comedy, Musical or Drama?

Sandra Bullock wins Best Actress in a Drama
I don't have much desire to see The Blind Side and didn't really like The Proposal, but it's impossible to dislike Sandra Bullock as a person. She has a sense of humor and awesome style. Also, she apparently speaks fluent German.

Jeff Bridges wins Best Actor in a Drama
Do I smell frontrunner?

James Cameron wins Best Director
Ugh, really? This man has a bigger ego than Quentin Tarantino, and way less talent to back it up. He should not even be in the same category as Kathryn Bigelow and Jason Reitman. I sincerely hope he does not get the opportunity to yell, "Well, who'd you expect, numbnuts?!" at the Oscars. Kathyrn and Jason, on the other hand, are more than welcome to utilize that phrase.

The Hangover wins Best Comedy or Musical
Hey, I liked The Hangover, but there is no arguing this point: (500) Days of Summer is a vastly superior movie. Not especially bitter though, and at least the brilliant Ed Helms is getting more exposure.

Avatar wins Best Drama
THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE. Academy, I'm begging you. Please be stronger than the Hollywood Foreign Press. Avatar has one of the worst scripts in recent memory, yet everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting that fact. Don't be one of those people. Refuse James Cameron's money. I know he has a lot of it, but this is a matter of integrity. You've made some mistakes before; I'll forget those if you give me this. Well, I'll forget some of them. That's still a lot. A. Freakin'. Lot.

I'm not even going to dignify this one with a clip. Because if I ignore it, maybe it will go away. Maybe? Just a little?

No comments: